But then, I visually scanned the unfolding of this past year to date and this massive flood of memories of countless blessings, lessons learned, friends discovered, and faith built I couldn't just throw all that out with the unpleasant experiences I'd just as soon forget.
I look back on where we've come as a family, as a married couple, and then as individuals through this past year and I have to acknowledge that the Lord was intricately and intimately involved. Whether we saw it or not at the time, some of our most painful moments gave rise to some pretty awesome discoveries. I believe that every person can look back on a lifetime and recall bitter experiences. Maybe even times that are just too hard to bring up again, but no one can say that those times were wasted.
No suffering is ever wasted. It adds to our bank account of learning and gives us amazing opportunities to show the Lord what we're made of. It puts us in a surreal place where as individuals, we can either fine tune our communication with God or we can turn away from him.
This past year has changed our lives forever. It has dramatically changed the way we pray. It's changed what matters. It's fine tuned our perspective, our priorities................and even our diet ha ha.
It most definitely has been a Looooooonnnnnnngggggg year for us........For Jessica particularly. The end of chemo can't come soon enough. It's like finishing the end of a marathon. You don't quite finish the race in the same posture or with the same energy as you had when you started out, but you keep going no matter what the finish line looks like.
We've lost friends and loved ones to cancer. We've seen it destroy hopes, and plans and goals. It doesn't differentiate between economic or social status and like this massive tidal wave, it leaves some pretty visual scars in it's aftermath.
However...............
This year has taught me to be grateful for our experiences with pain....................all of it. To see the end from the beginning in the small day to day random decisions in life. To put everything I can't control (and even the stuff I can control) into the Lord's hands and let him be in charge. I've learned that We are never alone and that miserable or not, our suffering can be for our good.
I believe that Jessica has learned even more than she knew before that SHE is a daughter of God and that he IS mindful of her. He knows her needs and he hears her prayers and he acknowledges her pain and succors those who turn to him. She has learned that beauty is not found in hairspray or a tube of lipstick and we are fools to judge others based on what we see.
So as I look back on the memories of what our life was like a year and a week ago, and what life is like now, I am so sure that some things are worth remembering.

I drove all the kids to Jessica's chemo appointment today. We held a family competition on the Wii, had a treat and watched tv while Jessica received her infusion.
Only one more treatment to go and her treatment protocol will be complete. Doctor's will continue to scan her and watch for any potential returns of her tumors.
Chemo will commence on April the 10th 2012 at 11:00 am and we'll let you all know when and where the end of Chemo party will be held.
Jessica's last two treatments really knocked her down hard. She walked in this morning like a happy 15 year old and left barely able to hold her self up. It was all I could do to get her home and into bed. She's got a long hard week and a half ahead.
What a wonderful post! We so appreciate the things you write as they give us a lot to think about in our own lives. The last few treatments can be really hard as they up the meds to finish off. Hang in there Jessica, and give yourself a break as you recover from them them. We pray for continued strength and comfort for you. Love, the D
ReplyDeleteDavis family
I share this testimony.. that our Heavenly Father
ReplyDeletehas many ways to act and we must trust.. no matter what he puts in front, and what he puts.. if he puts one and removes another, and ultimately shows us many ways to solve our problems, somehow or other he makes us feel that we are not alone.. but strangely the Lord makes us know that directly or indirectly at the same time.. He would open a path.. i mean, he makes us feel that he is there.. testing our faith and see if we resorted to him! I don't know how to explain exactly, it's similar to the story of the tribe of Israel, The Lord teaches us to trust him to ask for daily bread! I understood that seek help almost daily by him, my testimony grows up everyday.. and it's more strong that anything!! and seeing as my Savior communicates with me, as my Heavenly Father works with me and how and when to feel the impressions and promptings of the spirit, to blindly trust and follow the spirit and despite not seeing a way forward that is like watching a road with a dense fog that only will we see if we continue moving forward.. go ahead with a sense of knowing where we stand and know that everything will be fine.. That's to walk by FAITH!(Romans 5:1-5, 2 Nephi 31:20, Alma 32:21; 38:5)
God is the greatest blessing that has come into my life.. i'm so grateful for it!!
My family and I can feeling the Lord's hands in every aspect of our lives.. we have made to the Lord part of our life, to the point of consult with him all our decisions.. WONDERFUL!!!! We can understand exactly what you mean and we know that the Lord is wonderful and what it does in our lives too.
Our THOUGHTS and PRAYERS are with Jessica!
My family and I have followed this incredible journey .. is wonderful to see Jessica very well! The words found here are just as nutritious for me and my family.. and we have shed some tears also.. haha. Thanks for these wonderful posts! We appreciate it!(Mathew 5:14-16)
Our THOUGHTS and PRAYERS are still with Jessica!
Hang in there Jessica.. Don't give up.. FIGHTER!!!(John 16:33)
Stephanie and her Family.