Friday, August 12, 2011

I can do it......I can do it with a smile on my face!

I'm posting this link again. I keep coming back to this story time and time again. This little boy is so inspiring. If little Gabe can get up and down the stairs with no arms or legs and live his life with a smile on his face, then there is no excuse for me.

I hope Gabe is okay with our family stealing his affirmation as our family motto. "I Can Do It.......I Can Do It With A Smile On My Face."

Thank you little Gabe for inspiring us all.

http://www.b-roll.net/tv/view_video.php?viewkey=dc2a6340e258630febd5&page=1&viewtype=&category=tf

Jessica had a friend over yesterday and again, a light turned on inside of her as if someone had pushed the power button to "ON". It is so amazing how you friends and family energize her with so much positive energy. At home, alone, she can sometimes get a little glum. It's hard to think about anything else but how you feel. Friends offer such a welcomed distraction and put a smile on her face and a giggle in her belly that nothing else can produce. You are more healing than you know.

We are aiming for Jessica to return to school part time. Some of her classes will be done here at home and many of her classes she will have at school depending on how she feels, but we are happy to finally have a plan in place that she can work toward.

We feel blessed in sooo many ways.

3 comments:

  1. I was looking for a quote for something and saw this quote - which I have come to love and when I saw this post I thought I'd share.

    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile. – unknown

    Thanks for all your inspiration - your family continues to be in our prayers.
    Jenn Levanger

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooo I love that. It's going to have to go on my refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quote was just reinforced to Jessica and I today at the Cancer Clinic. A 24 year old girl (not a cancer patient) sat in the waiting room and we started a conversation with her. She has two different types of blood disorders and sees the oncology doctors for her treatment EVERY DAY. She has been receiving injections into her blood every day since she was a baby and will continue to have them for the rest of her life. She gets platelets once a month and she also battles diabetes. She had bruised scars on both sides of her upper body from being poked with a one inch needle every day. The whole time she was telling us this agonizing story, she never complained once. she was so positive and upbeat, she smiled and told us her story as if it was just the way everyone was. It was then that I thought to myself, I am never going to complain again. I am embarrassed and ashamed for all the times I've ever complained about petty little selfish annoyances. Up until this point, I never really knew what one was. I've met people this summer who have been through more than most people ever will. They suffer Every day and wonder if they will even be alive in a year and yet, so many of them walk around so filled with hope. They smile and they focus on all the things they DO have instead of what they don't. Not one of them is on anti depressants. You would think that the Cancer Clinic for Kids would be a very sad and depressing place to work, but it's not. The people there (including the patients) are upbeat. They are happy. They are grateful for life and there's not much to complain about. Why is it then, that there are millions of people in this country who have practically everything and yet complain as if they have nothing? Ironic

    ReplyDelete