Monday, August 29, 2011

It's The Prednisone

Went to the hospital this morning for Labs and to be seen by Jessica's Cancer Doctor. Not an inconvenience at all considering we just drove 40 min. to get there and she missed Yet another day of school for it. We got done about noon, ran some much needed errands and then stopped for lunch because we were both exhausted and hungry. Drove home and crashed on the couch.

Fifteen minutes after plopping down, the phone rang. I considered NOT answering it because I was still too tired to get up. But my conscience got the better of me and I answered anyway. It was the Doctor. He said he forgot to order up a couple more really important labs while Jessica was still here and would like for her to come back in.

"TODAY ?" I choked. After a 10 min. protest and the Doctor apologizing and then explaining why he needed it, I agreed and we complied, but only for the sake of Jessica's well being. We put our shoes back on, changed from sweats to pants (well I did anyway) and put on our happy face and back in to the hospital we went for the second time today. "Ohhhh, and by the way" they said to us, "we also need you to come back in the morning for a follow up lab."

In jest, Jessica agreed that she couldn't think of anything she'd rather be doing that morning, so I set up the appointment with great hesitation, knowing that not only was today shot, but tomorrow morning would be as well.

Never mind that you already have stuff planned, or 5 other kids who need you, or responsibilities outside of Cancer.

"What? You say you have a life, and other things to do?

.....Not anymore.


While at the clinic for the second time, an older woman (and when I say older, I only mean older than me) was wheeled in. She was very grumpy and cross with everyone from the man who opened her door, to the woman who checked her in. She snapped at everyone and kept a constant scowl on her face. Now before our experience with cancer, I would have judged that woman and thought to myself, "Man, she sure isn't very patient. That woman needs an attitude adjustment."
But today, Jessica and I just looked at each other and smiled intuitively and said almost at the same time........."It's the Prednisone"

Prednisone is a nasty drug. It's used for so many things and cancer is one of them, but it's side effects are severe hunger pangs, weight gain, puffyness, and moodiness like you've never seen before. Anytime any of us gets a little out of sorts around here, one of us will call out, "It's the prednisone."

So that is MY excuse for my rant today. Even though I don't take it, I get grumpy just thinking about it. And if you wonder why this post has a bit of a negative spin, well......................It's The Predisone."


And so now, if you are out and about and you see someone who is far from patient, kind, or a model citizen, just say to yourself, "It's The Predisone." You really never know.


3 comments:

  1. thinking of you! **HUGS** - Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all too familiar w/prednisone!!!! We think and pray for u several times a day....keep fighting jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You too Traejen
    You will be happy to know that you and Jessica get prayed over even on the blessing on the food. You gotta be REALLY special to make it to that list, because everyone just really wants to eat so we keep it short.

    ReplyDelete