Considering the fact that she had such a difficult summer, I was willing to let the lessons slide until then too. Jessica's Dad had other ideas. He was determined that she should finish BEFORE school started again in August of this year. He sternly, but gently gave Jessica a deadline that she was to have all the lessons done by. It worked. It motivated her to get up and get out of bed and do what she had to do to get it done by her deadline. She completed the last lesson at 10:30 at night on the day of her deadline. This was an amazing accomplishment. She picked herself up and did something I didn't think she could do. I don't even think she thought she could do it. AMAZING.
So Monday was the first day of school in her sophomore year and also her chemo treatment day. I alerted all her teachers and told them that most likely Jessica would be out of it for a week and that we would school at home for this week until she felt up to coming back. I'm such a softie. David walked down to Jessica's room and kindly told her to get dressed. He would give her a ride to school. Feeling tired and nauseated and sick, she did as he asked and put herself together and went to school where she stayed the entire day. It was a grueling day, but she did it. Pretty sure I could not have done what she did, and the thought had not even crossed my mind to ask her to. (yah, I know, I'm a wimp. We've established that) It shocked me that she complied without complaint and did what she was nudged to do. She got up this morning of her own accord and got dressed and went to school. I am dumbfounded. I never dreamed that she would have it in her to do what she has done so far. I'm sure all you nauseated pregnant women out there can relate.
It's taught me that kids have it in them to do just about anything. If you set the bar high for them, it's shocking what they will rise to and accomplish. I have so much respect for my good husband and now for my courageous daughter. It's my natural instinct to baby her and make life comfortable and easy so that her suffering is less. That instinct served it's purpose when she was a baby. What Jessica needs right now is tough love. She needs motivation and encouragement and a little pushing from those who love her to help her get through the hard stuff. It is the hardest thing I've ever done. I feel mean sometimes, but I see that she needs strong people around her to push her to do what she thinks she can't. We all need that, Right??
Way to go Jessica...you amaze me!
ReplyDelete