Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Annnndddd THE BLESSINGS POUR IN!!!!


Our latest letter from Jaden revealed to us how intricately the Lord knows us and sends his tenderest mercies upon us even when we don't always see how abundant they are.

In our fireside message last Sunday, I made the comment that if we are so hung up on the adversity in our lives, we will most likely miss seeing all the abundant blessings being poured out upon us.

Well, I have since repented. In my last post, I was counting all my problems and left no room to weigh them against the outpouring of blessings. So this morning I will share with you a few of the tender mercies that have way more than overcompensated for our little woes.

Jaden shared with us in his last letter his brush with guardian angels. As assistant to the President, his mission Pres. and his wife took the assistants out to dinner. Upon walking out of the restaraunt, Jaden came within a hair of being hit by a car speeding by. He said he felt hands on his chest shoving him backward, away from the speeding car and yet there was absolutely no one around him at the time. I couldn't help but think that the Lord is extra mindful of those who serve him. I started to think about all the other potentially unseen blessings that have poured over us lately and realized that it is SOOOO true that you can never out do the Lord.

You try to give to those in need, especially at this holiday season, and so much more comes back to you. You express your gratitude for what you have and so much more is added unto you. You serve him, testify of his truth, and engage in his work and he will pour out his blessings.......even more than you deserve.

Reagan gave his last talk in this ward before leaving for his mission to L.A. on Sunday and as I sat there and soaked in the support and the outpouring of love from friends and family who had traveled for days to get here, I felt more blessed than I deserve to be. When I looked up at my son sharing truth and baring a heartfelt testimony about service, I felt like the richest woman on the planet. I can vouch there IS no greater joy in this life than to see your children walk in light and truth. To see them gaining and growing in Godly attributes can never compare to any other gift.

Reagan was born into our family at the Christmas season during an especially trying time in our life. He will be leaving us for two years under similar circumstances. He knows a little bit about adversity of his own accord, and I have no question he is adequately prepared to serve the Lord for two years and give the best part of himself to the People of L.A. he will grow to love.

Answers to heartfelt prayers have poured in, blessings of health and strength have been abundant, love and support from family and friends is overwhelming, and to know that an added measure of protection and peace is with my two son's as they serve the Lord is a huge comfort.






And there are too many more to count.

I close with the words to one of my favorite hymns. So profound.....So true.

When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Refrain

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

Refrain

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings. Wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

Refrain

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be disheartened, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.

Refrain

And the counting continues. The scales are always tipped in our favor.

5 comments:

  1. I know you don't know me or my family personally, but we feel that we know you and your family. we moved from Meridian, ID 7 years ago because of a job change. We have 2 married sons still there: one in Nampa and one in Eagle. We knew Thurgood families when we were there, and so one day as I was going through posts on FBook I saw yours and have read with a growing interest all of the happenings.We have had some health struggles with children as well, and just want you to know how inspiring your posts are! When I think I am struggling, I just need to read your posts and I can feel better. Thank you for your strength of Testimony and wonderful example! Wishing you wonderful Holidays and much love, Cindy Davis and Family in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts. Isn't life funny in a way not ha ha hee he but what in the world is going on? Ok I guess I can do this I don't have much of a choice do I? But we always have a choice eaither way it's going to happen but It's what we do with it that matters and Im in constint ahh at what you all in that Thurgood Home do with it. Im sure it dosn.t feel like it but your doing great. Your holing on tight and pushing your way through a huge pile of stuff. Just wanted to say your often in my prayers and thoughts and I love you.

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, who is your son in Nampa? We might know them. Thanks so much for what you said. This blogging thing, at first, was so hard for me because we are pretty private people and I don't like living in a fish bowl. But I knew that to keep my family sane, I needed to keep them in the loop. They needed to hear the details of this experience and how our testimony has grown through it. I had no idea it would be made available to so many more people. We are thrilled that these posts help you to do the same in your life. The gospel is amazing and blesses us way more than I think we realize. But even as amazing as it seems, we all need reminders and it's so nice that we can all learn what we need from each other. I am happy to share on here if it helps someone remember who they are or get through their day, then it was totally worth it. Testimonies and experiences were made for sharing.

    Claire: Now you, are the one who inspires me. I've never had to deal with a fraction of what you have already as such a young mom. Your boys are choice and you make me want to be a better mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet and Cindy, you girls also share a pastime--singing in the Musettes! You are definitely two of the strongest and most amazing women I have ever met, and my life is better by knowing you both. Adversity has come to both of you in similar and different ways, and it has been some serious stuff, but both of you have turned to the Lord and handled your trials with strength and grace. Both of you have set an example in my life that I can only hope to follow. I consider you both dear friends, and I love you much. May you find peace and hope this season and always....

    And Janet, thank goodness for tender mercies! I am a true believer in the presence of angels who watch over us and carry out the Lord's will in our lives. Jadan was certainly blessed. I am sure that he is doing a great work on his mission, and Reagan will do the same. You are a terrific mom! Love you, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww! Thanks. That just made my day. JeNeale, you, my friend, are the amazing one. I'm so lucky to have good friends like you.

    ReplyDelete