Well, we pulled off our first ever fireside. It was held at the West Stake Center in Nampa.
Jessica and I had prepared a few duets and solos to sing, and then her and I and David each spoke. We put video to most of the songs to add a little more visual connect with the messages and then Jess and I sang as the silent video played on the screen above us.
This was such a healing opportunity for all of us to be able to put into words what has consumed our every ounce of energy these past few months.
You know? It's sort of funny because we don't talk too much about the impact that Jessica's illness has had on her or us. We've had a few moments here at home where we've had some great opportunities to guide Jessica through this struggle and give her some advice as she learns to use her spiritual tool box to help her deal with the heavy realities. When your life hangs in the balance, you tend to think through decisions with a little more care. You think more about how fragile life is and you tend not to take too much for granted.
The biggest PAY DAY a parent can get is to see their children learn to live a happy life. As we know that the only source of true happiness comes from God through his son Jesus Christ, we all yearn for our children to know that truth and not just know it, but live according to it. I would NEVER wish cancer on anyone, but what a blessings our trials can be sometimes. The greatest rewards can come through our greatest pain it seems.
As David and I watched and listened to Jessica pour out her heart and share how her battle with cancer has drawn her closer to her Savior, we wanted to leap out of our chairs. She shared how the atonement has become a reality to her as she developed patterns of scripture study and prayer to help her find answers and gain comfort and peace through some of the toughest times in her life. It's something, I think every parent wishes for their child. To know their Savior in a real way, not just a textbook way. It's a lesson I hope all of my children will choose to learn.
While I've never been through cancer, I have certainly been through health and physical challenges that have put me on my knees with that same amount of intensity and desire to be close to God. To realize that you are totally helpless and reliant on the Lord can be liberating when life hangs in the balance. In David's talk, he recounted a time he found himself downstairs in a heart to heart with Jessica helping her come to grips with the reality that the Lord could call her home early. She said "Dad, I know. I'm okay with what ever that decision is. I've already come to terms with what ever his will is."
..........And the parent is taught by the child.
What an amazing experience it was to hear each others perspectives of how this experience has changed us all. None of us knew ahead of time what the other would say. The music was beautiful and really invited a strong spirit. It was the perfect setting for us to testify of some deeply personal truths.
We went home on a spiritual high and a greater resolve to keep Christmas Christ centered this year. So grateful for the opportunity.
Wow...reading that, I felt the spirit really strongly. I'm so glad that Jessica knows the possibilities and that you're all so strong and faithful! Thank you for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteBrittany Thompson
How come I wasn't invited to this fireside? I would love to come to your next one! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteShan'l. You are officially invited to the next one. Actually this one was supposed to be a single's fireside, but was at the last minute opened up to the whole west stake. We will do one for the West stake Young Women and one in the 13th ward. I'll let you know the date as it get's closer.......but only if you do the Napoleon dance for me.
ReplyDeleteHey!! fair is fair.
Im so thankful I met you and your family, I have learned so much from watching you over the years and thankful for the examples you have all set. Jessica is a beautiful girl and Im so proud of her I know little of what she is going through but I have to say and this will most likely come out wrong, but I havent felt pitty for her but so proud of her for the power she has shown and strength she has. It must be more than most can even imagine but you would have never guessed with the strength she carries w/ her and the smile on her face. jessica Im so happy for you that you have found this true love and power you are such a example for me. Thank you
ReplyDeleteThank you for this wonderful update. Oh how we wished we could have been there to hear you sing and bare your souls in testimony. You are absolutely right about these things being payday for parents. It reminds me of the scripture 3 John 1:4 "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." And that's absolutely true. Hearing your thoughts and your testimony fills grandma and I to the brim with that "No Greater Joy." Oh how we love you and can't hardly wait to see you this coming weekend at Reagan's farewell. --- Mom & Dad
ReplyDelete